By now, you're probably sick of Summer, and it hasn't even truly arrived yet, mostly because the appropriate clothing has already been in stores for months, heralded in magazines for months, and anticipated for even more months before that. I know I'm not alone in having already bought my wardrobe. I'm going to be so on trend, you guys.
With that in mind, I have two questions for you: What about the staples? Who cares about the trends when you have nothing to base them around? Don't worry, this is where I come in.
You really only need five simple, classic pieces with which to create dozens of looks for the upcoming season.
- Raffia or straw-based sandals: These is nothing more important to own this season than light, flexible sandals in a clever material and the ones shown above are a modern version of the classic espadrille. Aim for neutral colorways to ensure that they can be mixed and matched with the rest of the items in your closet.
- A leather tote: You can't waste the Summer away with only a canvas or nylon tote. Sure, they're thin, but why not get tough with some leather (or faux leather, for you vegans)? It is a little heavier, but fills the same purpose and a simple style like this one from Baggu will fit your needs and can be utilized all year-round rather than just a few months.
- A simple white t-shirt: Do I really need to explain why having this particular piece is mandatory for everyone everywhere at all times in a person's life? You can dress a plain tee up or down for any occasion and the more worn in, the better. I particularly love Gap Pure and Topshop's versions because they already feel softer than a baby's tush...and baby tushes are soft as hell.
- Linen pants: Linen is mandatory for the summertime simply because it breathes. No one wants to schlep around their city/town/village/etc. in clothes that cling to skin and retain heat, so aim for open-weave fabrics.
- Bold earrings: I loathe having metal on my neck or wrists in hot weather. Rather than wearing a statement necklace or big bangles, bring attention to your lobes with a pair of eye-catching studs. They will instantly brighten up your outfit and bring attention to your beautiful face.
