07 November 2011

Minimalism - From Bri of Bricolage

Another guest post from one of my favorite girls - Bri of Bricolage!

Yay! I always jump at the chance to guest blog for What the Frock and talk a little fashion with you guys!

Lately, I’ve had minimalism on the brain.  Even those of us who adore new clothes have to admit how refreshing it sounds to clean out our closets once and for all and get down to the basics. My fashion icon is Audrey Hepburn, and I have always been so inspired by her lifelong friendship with fashion designer Hubert de Givenchy. According to Givenchy, “all a woman needs to be chic is a raincoat, two suits, a pair of trousers, and a cashmere sweater.” (Personally, I would add a few things to that list---like a crisp white shirt, a little black dress, a shirtdress, a pair of riding boots, and a great designer bag!)  But what I really want to illustrate here is that investing in just a few quality pieces can change your whole wardrobe and even how you feel about yourself.  So many younger women, including myself, are still learning what it means to dress like a “grown-up.” I think that adding just these five pieces to your closet will send you on your way to looking and feeling like a chic and classy lady! And once you have this sophisticated palette to work with, it’s certainly okay to add some fun, trendy finds… like a leopard print scarf or a glittery pump!




1. Burberry London Double Breasted Cotton Trench, Nordstrom
2. Rachel Zoe Plaid Houndstooth Suit, Bloomingdales
3. J.Crew Bi-Stretch Wool 1035 Suit, J. Crew 
4. J.Crew Cafe Trouser, J. Crew
5. Ralph Lauren Black Label Cable-knit cashmere sweater, Net-a-Porter

What do you think of Givenchy’s minimalist philosophy on fashion? Which classic piece would you add to his list?